Sunday, December 2, 2007

I've been bad. I haven't been testing my bgs lately like I'm supposed to. I've been lucky to test my morning number and maybe one pre-meal bg. Bad, bad, bad me.

Around this time of year, pretty much every year, I get into all of the fun and delicious treats that the season brings forth... Lots of hot cocoa, cookies, brownies, warm toast and jelly.

Because I have an insulin pump, I should be testing more often than someone on MDI (multiple daily injections). Normally I test up to 15 times a day. More likely it's just around 10 times a day. This keeps my A1c in a good range (they say below 7% is good, I say between 5% and 6% is best for me), and it keeps me from feeling like I'm suffering from narcolepsy.

That narcoleptic feeling has started to creep in. Maybe it's just the season (rainy and overcast daily), maybe it's that my house is a mess and the thought of cleaning overwhelms me... more likely it's that my bgs are high and I haven't been good about keeping after myself. I'm the hypo queen. I go low looking at something with no carbs in it. I haven't had a hypo since the day I had my cath done. I have realized that it's because of that cath that I haven't been good keeping at my numbers.

This doesn't mean I haven't been bolusing for my foods. It just means I haven't been checking. I haven't done any corrections, I haven't matched my insulin completely to my foods, I'm sure. I am so totally screwed when I go in to see my doc this Thursday and ask for an A1c. It'll smack me back into reality, I'm sure...

And once again, I will get better with my checking. I will tell myself I'll never again falter during the holiday season.

Yeah, right.

2 friends said...:

Troy said...

No doubt you will do better. No doubt you're not the only diabetic who lets their monitoring or control slip a bit during the holidays. And no doubt even if your A1C is a bit higher, it won't be the end of the world and it *will* just convince you to do better. (Although I'd submit you do better than 90% of other diabetics without trying.)

:)

Bernard said...

I think we all do a little of this over the hols. The big D is such a pain, it's nice to ignore it for a while. I hope you're back to the regular schedule!

And I hope you have a great 2008. From a fellow Cozmo user.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online