Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Natural Birthing Awards?

So I was perusing the boards over at MDC and I came across this post, hijacked from another board. I thought the humor was stellar and the subject so incredibly needed sometimes. :)

My DH got sick of EVERYONE telling me, "You know, you don't get a medal for going natural!" in their own snobbish way. So what does he do? He gets me a MEDAL! LOL! I got a Copper one for birth #1 (In hospital, pitocin, no other drugs) and a Silver one for birth #2 (in hospital, drug-free). One of the family found out about our little gag gift and asked me if it offended me that he "rates your performance in labor". I was like, "No, if he started out giving me gold medals I could have never strive to do better." Then they asked how he "rated" me. Keep in mind that this is our GAG gift and is purely in a joking manner between my DH and I only but his rating system goes something like this:

Platinum- Home Unassisted birth (as long as it's perfectly safe), vaginal breech delivery (home or in hospital) or vaginal multiples delivery (home or in hospital).

Gold- Home birth with traditional midwife, drug-free.

Silver- Hospital birth drug-free.

Copper- Hospital birth with some kind of drug(s).

And then she asked, "Well what if you have to have a c-section?" and my DH goes, "She'll get a participation ribbon." LMAO! He was COMPLETELY joking but the look on that woman's face was priceless!
I must say that I totally agree with this! I want medals too. :D Hey, after having five kids I think I deserve it! So I'm giving myself medals here... I get two Silver and three Copper.

Chris's was a Silver... I labored for 8 hours and because of my scoliosis they couldn't place an epidural. No other pain meds were offered, so it was a drug-free hospital birth.

Tani's was a Copper... My water broke at 34 weeks. I drove myself to the hospital while my dad went and retrieved my XH from work and brought him to the hospital. By the time they all got there, the OB had decided to give me pitocin. I had no epidural and no other pain meds. She was born after 3.5 hours of actual labor.

Kaycee's was a Silver... Only 1hr23min of labor and when I got to the hospital I was completely dilated. They had enough time to line an IV but not hook it up to anything.

Shayna's was a Copper... She was induced due to post-dates. Only 45 mins of labor, induced with the dreaded Cytotec. As I was pushing her out, they put 1cc of Stadol into my IV. It didn't help and instantly put me on another planet so bonding wasn't immediate like it should have been. :(

PJ's was a Copper... Induced due to PIH, she was 32 weeks. The induction was done with Cervadil. They had to insert it at 6AM then put another one in at 6PM. I didn't feel any contractions until 2:30AM. She was born at 2:53AM. Yep, that was 23 minutes total of labor. No pain meds, but they offered Stadol and Troy reminded me that I hated that stuff. :)

For baby #6, I'm going for a Platinum medal... plans may change, of course, but if all goes well I'm making Troy run to an awards shop and get me an engraved one!

3 friends said...:

Mortis said...

You can do it!!!!!

Troy said...

I keep thinking about this and have come to the conclusion that I disagree ... any woman who can go through a pregnancy and delivery and have a healthy baby deserves a platinum medal!

Ros said...

LMAO well thought out. Okay, I get a silver for Alexa, but I have to say I personally think I at least should get a copper for Nata because I don't think the drugs worked!!!
And well said Troy.
Good luck on your platinum this time, Rikki!!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online