Thursday, February 7, 2008

My poor little girl, continued

Shayna's appointment was at 2:40 today. She saw a nurse practitioner instead of her doctor because the office was completely overwhelmed with kids.

After giving the history of her illness, I told the nurse that I was quite sure it was an ear infection, but it couldn't be a big one since she wasn't really playing with her ears, nor were they red. Boy was I wrong! The verdict, a double ear infection...and not just a mild, run-of-the-mill infection, no. This one is oozing fluid and very angry red in both ears. My poor baby. No wonder her temps never stayed down.

So, she's on twice a day amoxicillin for the next 10 days. I feel awful. :(

The nurse told me not to feel guilty. At least I wasn't her, she said. Once, her 15 year-old had double pneumonia for two weeks before she figured out that it wasn't just her daughter complaining about her asthma meds not working. I guess letting an ear infection go for a few days is okay... I did tell her that I really don't like giving antibiotics for ear infections since most of them go away on their own. She told me that the reason Shayna's fever hasn't gotten any better is probably because the infection is so bad. I asked if I let it go so long that her hearing could be compromised and she said no, that's a relief!

As for school, Shayna will be out tomorrow too. That's a total of 6 days out sick. Shayna's teacher sent her homework packets home with Kaycee today, so I'll get Shayna to do them over the weekend. She's been itching for something to do, so hopefully that will make her happy. (The kid loves homework, what can I say?)

As for everyone else in the family, we're all good. I still have a bit of sinus congestion from my bout of the cold and PJ is sniffling a little too. Hopefully this is the end of the rounds, yes I said *rounds* of illnesses that keep going around our little family.

0 friends said...:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online